Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Birthday To Me

Yesterday was my 38th birthday and like all previous ones, it was glorious. Birthday's are a very exciting time in our family, and to date, I have never dreaded an upcoming birthday (like many of the females I work with). They didn't have my son, Mom, Dad, Sister, Brother-in-Law and two nieces to celebrate with!

My sister made dinner for all of us and as tradition stands, the birthday person gets to pick their entire menu. I choose meatloaf, mashed potatoes, roasted carrots and cherry cobbler. Between my sister and Mom, they made a fabulous dinner, that we all devoured. My sister decorated the table beautifully with the help of my younger niece.

After dinner it was time for the best part, presents! I received too many things to list, but one of my favorites was the Cuttlebug, a present from my Mom and Dad. I have been wanting one of these for awhile and was excited beyond belief. My sister found a cute print designed from someone selling her artistic talent on Etsy. It was perfect too, a little girl surrounded by Autumn, just like me. She also got me a subscription to the new Food Network Magazine, Yum-O!!! My Mom took my son shopping and whoever lands this boy as a husband one day, will be spoiled with gifts. He is an awesome shopper. He bought me a beautiful glass mercury jar, many things for my kitchen and lots of scrapbook items. Everything near and dear to my heart.



After dinner some gathered around the kitchen table to visit and others ventured to the garage for our annual pumpkin carving time. My son decided against the pumpkin templates we had and went straight for free-handing it. I was surprised, he did rather well. Tonight, our masterpieces will come to life at dusk, just in time for all the little trick-or-treaters.


This year's Halloween holiday is a bitter sweet one. My son is 9 years old and decided he didn't want to go trick-or-treating. With my birthday being on the 30th of October, Halloween is probably my most favorite holiday. It was sad to see this time come to an end, but made me realize this is yet another step in my son growing up and my need to slowly let him go. I am constantly reminded God only gave him to me temporarily and my job is to raise him and let him go. So instead we will stay home for the first time in 9 years and hand out candy. I'm making dinner for my son and parents and I might see what type of cartoon Halloween movie is available to rent. We can start a new tradition, and I know it can be just as special.


I hope all of you have a Happy Halloween, regardless of how big or small your kids are.

Boo-to-You!!

No comments:

Post a Comment