Saturday, October 25, 2008

Homemade Bread....Oh So Yummy!


It was official, this weekend was going to be a cooking kind of weekend. I recently purchased a new cookbook, present to me, and it put me in the mood to get busy and try new things. The cookbook is Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook. I fell in love with the book. I'm not a huge fan of Martha, some of her things are too hard to make for the average person, but this cookbook has it all. Different recipes, but still yummy, and inspires you to venture into uncharted waters and bake something new instead of the same old thing.

I am in the process of baking two things from her Handbook. The first is Focaccia, and let me tell you, my house smells so yummy I could eat the throw rug in front of my stove. Even if it doesn't taste good, it was worth the effort because of the aroma it filled my home with. The dough was rather odd, but I suppose it's only because I'm used to making rolls. This dough was very sticky and bubbly. But according to Martha, it's supposed to be that way. The best part, you coat the bottom of the pan in olive oil before placing the dough on the pan. Then after spreading the dough out and pocking the famous little dimples on top, you drizzle yet MORE olive oil. Then you sprinkle with salt and bake. Oh dear. I opted to sprinkle half with salt and half with Italian seasoning. That way my Mom, who is on a low salt diet, can taste this yummy stuff as well.



The next item I'm baking are some cookies for my son. They are similar to an Oreo, chocolate wafer cookie with cream filling, but just the homemade version. It's so sad to go grocery shopping these days with the price of food. My son loves Oreo's, yes I know they are bad for you, but he's a kid. When I saw a package was almost $5.00, I said NO WAY, I will bake cookies instead. So, that is what started me down this cooking kind of weekend. I haven't finished the cookies yet, it got too late on me so I will need to finish them tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Tomorrow, homemade spaghetti sauce that I plan on freezing to make individual servings. It too is a very tasty recipe from Giada De Laurentiis. If you have never made homemade spaghetti sauce, I highly recommend you try it. You will be amazed at the difference in taste between something like this and what you buy in a jar. Nothing like a little spaghetti, focaccia, and a salad for dinner, the best kind of comfort food to warm you on a chilly fall evening. I'll think of you while I'm eating dinner.






No comments:

Post a Comment