Sunday, October 19, 2008

Our Fall Harvest Party

Five little pumpkins sitting on the gate.
The first one said, "Oh my it's getting late!"
The second one said, "There are witches in the air!"
The third one said, "But we don't care!"
The fourth one said, "I'm ready for some fun!"
The fifth one said, "Let's run, and run, and run!"
Then........"Oooh" went the wind
And OUT went the light,
And the five little pumpkins rolled out of sight!

Last night was our Fall Harvest party and I believe everyone had a good time. We had around 25 people with about 12 of them being kids. We had yummy food, games, warm fire, warm cider, spooky haunted shed and just lots of laughter.

Our day started Saturday with getting things ready which included cooking the food. My brother-in-law helped me by grilling a beef brisket. I also tried a new recipe for an apple, onion, cheese tart. The combination may sound a bit odd, but it was actually quite yummy. A very rustic dish that tasted like fall.

Since we have a small home, much of the party was held outside. Unfortunately it was in the mid 30's once the sun went down, but the kids were running around screaming so much, it didn't bother them. When the adults got cold, they came inside for warm cider and a chair around the kitchen table.
Once the sun went down, my son was ready to open up the "Haunted House". It wasn't very scary, but we did have Joe Corely....the dead guy.....inside. Just so you don't worry, I made him up and all of his body parts. We had his "parts" in bowls for everyone to touch (eyes, ears, brains, hands and the worms that ate him). And then his smiling skeleton was hanging on the wall and the entire creepiness was surrounded in spider webs. I realized that even though you are touching slimy grapes and smushed tomatoes, when it is dark and spooky music is playing, anything can be scary. And every now and then, someone would bang on the shed and send those visitors inside, screaming as they ran outside. We had to laugh, and take lots of pictures.

We also played a racing game with powdered donuts with all of the kids. We strung donuts on dental floss, lined them up on their knees and told them...hands behind your back! At the sound of GO they had to eat the donut off the floss and the first one to succeed, was the winner. It was so fun to watch as the kids would practically gag with a mouth full of powdered goodness.

There were so many funny moments, too many to list. Instead I will just share the highlights in our photos. It's time now to make a scrapbook of the memories so we have it for years to come. I love opening up my home to family and friends. My son loves it too. I inherited this love from my Mom and her wonderful ability to entertain and even my 9 year old son is grasping it. God has blessed us with lots of wonderful people to call friends. What a better to show your love for them than to throw a party. And for good measures, throw in a dead guy and touch his brains!




We had treat cones for all of the kids. They had glow in the dark bracelets, pumpkin gum balls, Halloween pencils, pop rocks and gift certificates to McD's. A big hit!

All of the kido's sitting outside eating the food, or at least I think they ate.

My sissy and her best friend.

My sister and girlfriend inside the "Haunted Shed" touching Joe Corely's body parts. The yucky worms that ATE him! (cooked spagetti with oil)

My son, niece and two other friends.

Joe Corely in the no flesh, but bones!

If you look close, you can see my Mom standing in the window. She was safe inside away from the walnut tree, in fear of stepping on a big nut (or getting clunked in the head with a nut). She was watching the screaming Haunted Shed.

The donut game. Can you see the falling powdered sugar from my son's face??

Making SMORES by the fire. PaPa (my Dad) was in charge of the goods. That way no child ended up with too much of a sugar buzz.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful Party! My Grandson was a winner with the Haunted house. I never heard so many screams,fun and laughter.The adults enjoyed it as much as the Kids. Well done My very talented daughter. You get a a+ for this one.BIG O

    ReplyDelete