Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Uncle

My family lost a loved one today, my Uncle. He was a very strong man, as my sister described him, a cowboy. He loved living on his farm with his horses. But what he loved more, was my Aunt. They were a true reflection of what a husband and wife should be; devoted, loving, frisky and best friends. My uncle was diagnosed with cancer a couple years ago and I remember thinking to myself, if anyone can beat cancer, it's my tough Uncle. Well, early this morning he lost the battle.

Even though he was a very rough and tough kind of guy, he had a gentle heart. He would wrestle with my sister and I whenever we went to spend the night. I loved going into their basement to see all of his tools, horse bridles and every now and then, baby chickens in the incubator. Their farm had cows, horses, goats, ducks, chickens, cats, dogs and I'm sure other animals I don't remember. I loved going to "the farm" to visit.

A little over a year ago my Aunt and Uncle lived out their retirement dream and moved to Texas. What better place for a cowboy to be. He didn't get to enjoy his new home very much because he was pretty sick. I just pray for my Aunt and ask for strength to help her deal with the loss of her best friend and love of her life. I know it will be so hard to continue without him. I hope to see her soon, I miss them both.

Here are some pictures of my parents, and my Aunt and Uncle. My Uncle is in the cowboy, flannel shirt. Aren't they a cute couple?

These next two pictures may look a little familiar if you remember the earlier post about my grandma's birthday party. These pictures are taken at another party for Grandma where we are all in the famous beauty parlor. Well, remember what I said about people playing around on the equipment instead of watching Grandma open her presents??????

Look who is the big kid now. I love you Uncle, and I'll miss you dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment