Sunday, September 6, 2009

My Kitchen

While cleaning the house a bit today, I turned around to admire my kitchen and was reminded why I love it so much. This was the part of the home that sold me the moment I walked into it. I loved the cabinets, not the chartreuse green appliances, but knew that could be fixed. I still love this kitchen after a few years of living here. I thought I would give you a small, brief tour.

I have a sliding glass door that leads out to our patio and it lets in the most beautiful sunlight. Someday I will get up enough courage to paint that kitchen table. It's solid oak, but I have a yearning to paint it cream and maybe get some different chairs.
Sorry this picture is crooked. I knew right away I needed to purchase new appliances as I mentioned. I looked at many different ones, took my girlfriend with me for reinforcement and didn't know what to do. The frugal side of me was leaning towards white even though my heart ached for stainless steel. They were quite a bit more expensive, but as my girlfriend stated, get what you love and don't look back. So, I did. I had them paid off in 1 year, but it was so worth the monthly payment for that year. I love to be in the kitchen and I love to look at my appliances. Call me wacky, but I just do.

I'm struggling with a bit of decoration dilemma. I do love modern things, but in some ways they can feel so cold. Over the past year I have started to really fall in love with french country. It has the crisp white/cream feel I love, tiny tiny bit of country and the french feel that I do go Ooh-La-La over. :)

Until I can afford to go to Paris in person, I will have little glimpses of the Eiffel tower in my home. This little feller sits on my counter next to the sink so I see it every day. My sister gave it to me for a birthday present one year and I love it to death.
A recent find while antiquing with my sister is my Little Chef oven. I just think it's adorable and I can imagine a little girl playing with this many years ago. However now, I get to play with it whenever I want to. The door won't always stay closed, but it's a sign of something that has been played with so much it's heavily worn.

This little kitty was hand sewn by my sissy. He sits on top of a child's chair I found at a flea market.
Gerber Daisies. Need more to fill my sap bucket but I can't find them any longer. Maybe next summer.
A daily reminder of what I need to strive to be each day. It is a choice you know?!
Another favorite sign.
I have a few favorite pictures on the shelves above my kitchen table. One is a picture of my Mom, Dad and Grandparents on my Parent's Wedding Day. Love it.
This one is Colin and my Dad outside of a football stadium. It was about 6 years ago. I love to see my big, strong Dad and little Colin under his arm. Now Colin is as tall as Dad's shoulders, but still loves his PaPa with all of his heart.

Sitting on my floor is a reminder of our favorite kitty, Murphy. When he passed away my sister gave me this rock to place next to his graveside in our yard. I didn't want the rock to get ugly, so I haven't brought myself to placing it outside. Instead I see it every day and it helps me to remember happy times with our Murphy.
And finally, this is what you see standing in the kitchen looking out into our family room. The big bay window and one lazy cat trying to take his afternoon nap.
That.....is my kitchen. Thanks for coming!

1 comment:

  1. I say paint the stinkin table!!! :) I will help you. I love to make old things new again. And, you can make me something pumpkin from your beautiful oven for payment. Hee hee.
    Lovie you!

    ReplyDelete