Thursday, October 29, 2009

Caramel Apples

Since Halloween is quickly approaching, Colin and I decided to try something new this year. While reading one of my favorite magazines, Food Network, I saw this article on Caramel Apples. I have never made homemade caramel, but it sure sounded easy so I thought we must give it a try.


First....the apples must be ready. (notice my cute night light in the back ground?)

Second, boil 2 cups sugar.....1/4 cup corn light syrup.....1/2 cup water.


Boil...without stirring (swirl the pan) until it registers 320 degrees (8 to 10 mins). It should be a light amber color. Be careful, it can burn quickly at this point.


Remove from heat...slowly whisk 1/2 cup heavy cream (it will bubble vigorously, spit, sputter and maybe a toot or two)...2 tbls butter....1 tsp vanilla and a pinch of salt. Return to low heat and whisk until smooth.
Let caramel cool until it can coat the back of a spoon (we let ours cool too long and had to heat it back up a bit), then start dipping!



And if you have a 10 year old boy in the house, he will want to lick the dripping caramel from the apples, but do not let him.


Aren't they cute!?! Wish I could share one with you.


One more day until my birthday!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment