Monday, January 18, 2010

Michigan Again

For the very few of you that read my blog, here is another post involving a trip to Michigan to see my Sissy. I cannot help but post on our trips because not only are they fun, they include a state I have grown to fall in love with.

This visit, a dear friend and her kids came with us. It is actually a very close friend of my Sister's, but over the years I too have gotten close to her. Lori and her two children, Emily and Seth followed us to MI to see my Sister and her family. Seth is Colin's age so the boys were able to play (and rough-house) while all the other girls hung out.

Shelby, my oldest Niece received Rock Band for Christmas so all of the kids had to play it. Before long, all of the ADULTS had to play it. I have never played a Wii game before so this was a first, and I didn't fare too well. Luckily, I don't have any pictures of me. Shann was on vocals, Lori played the guitar, Colin was on the drums...until they made me take over. It didn't last long and I gave up my spot on the band so someone better qualified could play. It was a lot of fun and we were all rolling with laughter.




By Saturday the kids had been cooped up long enough so we headed to the bowling alley. Everyone did really good, but no one bowled a 300. :)





Today Colin and I drove home, it is always so sad to leave because we never want to. We want to get home to see our kitties, but we also don't want to leave everyone else. We usually make at least one detour on our way home before we get out of Michigan, and today was no exception.


We had plans to visit South Haven while in MI, but it didn't work out. I just want to see the lake so badly when I am there, so much that I can't stand it. It is about a 40 minute drive from Kalamazoo to the lake, so it's a little jaunt. However, when you are heading home you get very close to the lake so that is where our detour happened today.


We stopped in St. Joseph MI for a quick visit to the beach. I know many of you may think I'm crazy going to a beach in Michigan in the winter, but I had to see what it looked like since I've only been in July and September. It was just as beautiful as I expected....and frozen!




I don't believe I have ever seen sand and snow together, but here it was. There was even snow fences on the beach. Quite the odd mixture.



If you looked real far out into the lake you could see where the frozen tundra stops and the water begins.



St. Joseph has their own lighthouse just like South Haven. Actually they have two on their pier. One has a cute little house with it. See how frozen and snowy it is?



Wonder if they ever need someone to care for the lighthouse. I would volunteer, but maybe in the summer instead.






Can't resist getting a kids picture on the beach, even if it was freezing cold and he didn't want to be out there.





Colin and I said we would be happy to take care of this house too because when you look out the front, you are viewing the lake. What a sight to wake up to every morning. Even if it is frozen over.


And here is my little photographer snapping pictures himself, with his own camera, of the big, big frozen lake that we both love so much.



And THAT was Michigan visit #5!

2 comments:

  1. Oh! I had such a wonderful time to! I can not believe it is already over. Boo Hoooooo!!! We did rock out as a band..didn't we? :) We better hang onto our kids thinking we were funny and cool while we can...it won't last long. Like we have never heard Eye Of The Tiger before. HA! Please come back ASAP. K? I love you little sis of mine!! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog surfing and came across your post. It is nice to hear soem folks like our big lake. :-)

    ReplyDelete