Sunday, December 5, 2010

Christmas in Chicago

Chicago is a very fun place to go for Christmas. I don't mean to wake up Christmas morning there, I mean to go before Christmas to shop or just browse the city. Seems like we never have enough time when we go (or money) and this trip was especially quick. But the whole point of the trip was to surprise Colin with a visit to Legoland.

The first room in Legoland was a miniature replica of the Windy City. There was so much detail it was amazing. And even more amazing is the whole thing was built using Lego bricks! While looking at the Lego scenery all of a sudden the lights start to dim and the lights inside the buildings come on. The crickets start chirping, the street lights come on and the city sounds change. The lights on the fountain light up and music starts playing. It is soooooo neat (I can't say that enough).





After leaving the big city, you walk into a bunch of other rooms where they have life size figurines and people. This was Colin's favorite, the Tiger.


From there you go to shops to build all sorts of items; to a small factory showing how Lego's are made; to a race car track building area so you can race your cars; to rooms with carnival rides (made out of Lego's of course). A very cool place and well worth the drive for us.


After the Lego store we had dinner and did some more shopping before heading back to our hotel room. Colin looked at a Phineas and Ferb magazine he bought at the Disney store and I chilled next to him. Tomorrow, we head downtown to visit Macy's before going home.

We woke up Saturday morning to a bunch of snow. They probably got around 3-4 inches but I came prepared. I had our boots, hats, gloves and scarves. Colin helped me clean off the car while I loaded it up. Oh to have snow, it was such a great feeling.


It was still snowing pretty good by the time we made it downtown. I didn't really know where I was going and my GPS was making me mad so I told Colin to shut her off and we would find our way. Before we knew it we were sitting at a stop light and we both looked up and realized we were next to the Sears Tower. It was a little hard to see with all the snow.

We found a parking garage and started the trek our way to Macy's. Along the way we stopped for some peppermint coffee and hot cocoa. Colin loved sipping on cocoa while walking the snowing sidewalks. I LOVED my coffee from Starbucks!


We knew instantly when we got to Macy's because of their famous golden trumpets. It was so beautiful with all of the snow (but my hair on the other hand....it was not lookin so good).


The windows were decorated after the new book Yes Virginia, There Is A Santa Clause.

One thing we both wanted to do was find the Christmas Tree in the Walnut Room. Someday I will stay long enough so we have have breakfast under that tree, but not this year. Instead we admired the beautiful tree from outside the tea room and took lots of pictures.


From there we headed to the toy section. Macy's always has extra large stuffed animals so Colin wanted to find them. As always, he was drawn to the Tiger (his love).


After a bit more shopping we decided we needed to head home because the snow was still coming and I wanted to make sure we made it home before dark. As we got closer to home I asked Colin if he wanted to stop at a Reindeer Farm near our home and he said "Of course!". So we made a little detour to visit Santa's Reindeer. Yukon was the largest Reindeer and he loved graham crackers.


Freezing cold and tired, we hopped back in the car and finished our drive home. We had 3 animals back home we both missed so we were anxious to get home. Not to mention, Colin had a ton of new Lego things he wanted to build.

No comments:

Post a Comment