Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sick Day, Waffles and a Present

Yesterday afternoon I got a phone call at work that no Mother enjoys.....the school nurse. Colin was in her office with a stomach ache and a fever. Not a good sign. Well luckily it wasn't the stomach flu, but I think it was some kind of flu bug because he had aches, pains and lack of sleep because he felt so crummy. It carried over to today and therefor we had a sick day.

Colin didn't roll out of bed until 10:00am and by then he was hungry because he didn't eat any supper the night before. He asked if I would make him homemade waffles and I couldn't pass up a sick boy, so I agreed. I have the BEST waffle recipe if you have a waffle iron to make them. I found it in a Food Network Magazine and they taste 100% better than those frozen things and they don't require much work at all.



Classic Waffles
Whisk 2 cups flour, 4 teaspoons baking powder, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon salt. Mix in 2 eggs, 1 1/2 cups milk, 5 tablespoons melted shortening and 4 tablespoons melted butter. Cook in a waffle iron until crisp.
Yummy and pour on the Mrs. Buttersworth!
Unless you have an Army to feed (or more than 2 people and a dog), you can cut it in half which is what I did. I was able to get 7 waffles out of a 1/2 batch.


I had some defrosted blueberries in my frig from our Michigan trip last summer so I threw a handful of those in once I made enough plain waffles for Colin. Oh blueberries add a lovely touch and they look tasty too.


While I was cooking the waffles, Colin rested in the family room looking at a lovely little present that I received. My dearest friend stopped by this morning to drop off a magazine for me to look at while I was home with Colin today, but besides the magazine she gave me a present. She surprised me with a book that is actually my Blog in print! It is the NEATEST present ever!!! Thank you Dawn.....I love it!


Colin immediately sat down and started reading the book. It looks like she ordered it from this site, Shared Book. It is just so lovely, I can't wait to sit tonight and read it. I know it's my blog and I created the posts, but it's been such a long time I have forgotten what I even wrote about.

The front of the book has many different pictures from my posts. I just love the photos chosen. Inside are all of my posts with the pictures that go along with them. Isn't it sweet?!??!!!!!



So even though it's been a sick day, it's been a good day. Colin appears to be getting better so hopefully he will be back in school tomorrow. This weekend I'm heading to St. Louis with my same dear friend that made my blog book so we can hit some scrapbook stores. We have a couple favorite stores that just call our names every year. I can't wait for the weekend to come! Now..........I must go read the story about me.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet and ever-so-thoughtful gift your dear friend presented you with today! Can't wait to see it in person. Hope my dashing nephew is much better and he and mama and the doggie get some sleep tonight! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made waffles in eons! You've inspired me to get our my heart shaped waffle maker and give your recipe a try.
    They look delish.

    ReplyDelete