Sunday, November 27, 2011

I'm ready, bring on December!

When I say I'm ready for December, I'm not only talking about celebrating the most special time of the year. I'm also talking about I'm ready to document and capture all that splendor.  I have been busy in October and November building my December Daily Album.  This wonderful lady is who started it all, Ali Edwards.  She has a LOT of info about her DD over on her blog if you would like to learn more.


I start my process in October because I try to build my album here and there whenever I have a few minutes to spare.  Usually only on weekends since Basketball keeps us busy, but it is important to me to do this so I make the time. 

I start by digging out all of my Christmas scrapbook items. I decide what pieces I think I would like to use and then fill some containers so I have the items handy. That way each evening when it's time to prepare my page, I have the goodies at my side.


Since my scrapbook stash is rather large (we won't say HOW large), I have lots to get me started but I can usually find something new I want to add.  One thing I use a lot of are numbers so I'm always on the lookout for some cute new ones.  The concept behind the album is you document the month of December, one day at a time.  Every day I try to take pictures of our December day and it may be Christmas related or not.  Some days I don't have time to devote to it so I may add a newspaper article or scripture or just one simple picture.  But since it documents each day in December, I add numbers to each page.

I also grab little note cards, clip art, and stickers that I really love in hopes of finding a way to incorporate them into my album. I tucked them inside this baseball card holder that I plan on cutting down to size and using as well.  Baseball card holders are one of my favorite things to use in my DD album.


The next step in building the album is to choose your size.  There are MANY albums out there already bound that you could just buy and be done with it.  I personally can't use them because my album gets very, very thick and the pre-made albums don't expand enough.  For the last 3 years I have made my own album.  I have always gone with 8x8 but the size is up to you as well.  I keep mine smaller because again the idea is to not feel overwhelmed during an already busy time and fell like you have a 12x12 page to decorate.  But it's a personal preference.

So here is the start of my album.  9x9 chipboard (bigger than 8x8 pages inside), nice and ugly.  I am waiting on some new paper I ordered to decorate the outside.  I haven't seen the paper in person yet but here is what it looks like on-line.  If I decide I don't want to use it for my album covers, I have a back-up ready to go.  Until then.....she sits naked.


But inside, she is full of sweetness.  I have all the pages cut down to size, stickers tucked in there I believe I will want to use and numbers ready for each page.


Since my Mom bought me a little craft sewing machine last year I like to use it for my DD album.  I still can't figure out this sewing thing, but I guess I won't give up.  I tried to add some glitter and wooden pieces to this baseball card holder and sew it shut, but I couldn't get Bernice the machine to cooperate.  So I ended up hand sewing it.  It worked, it looks rough, but I'm not about perfection.


Number on page 4.


Number on page 6.  I will journal on that Gingerbread tag when the day comes.  I have found I always want to do a 2 page spread for each day.  And some days that works fine, but some days I may have just a bit more I want to add that can't fit on 2-8x8 pages.  So I add little extras like that Gingerbread tag.  On the flip side of the card I can add another picture if I want.


I played around with some glimmer mist paint for page #9 on this Bingo Card. I will also decorate the back-side of the Bingo Card.


Page #11 has an old wooden Bingo Chip.


Page #12 is waiting for Colin to add his Wish List for Santa.


Page #13....love this vintage paper.


So that is a little sneak peak of my December Daily Album.  I just looked back at my blog for the last 2 years and realized I didn't post much about this.  I will try to do better this year and show you some of the finished pages.

You don't have to enjoy scrapbooking to create a December Daily Album.  You just need to decide if you want to commit some time, each day (or you don't even have to do each day) in December to documenting the holiday.  You could make it so simple by just purchasing a journal and adding notes, clips of reading materials, bulletins from church, etc.  If you don't have a way to print pictures at home, you can go back after the holiday is over and add pictures.  You really can do this in a very, very simple way.  

Preserving memories is something I cherish.  My Grandma did this for my Dad and I see how much a 70+ year old man enjoys looking at his childhood so I know it will be loved for years to come.

Merry Christmas!!

1 comment:

  1. I know how big your stash is....just saying. :)
    I would like to place my order for a DD for my birthday. Please and thank you.
    The Big Sis

    ReplyDelete