Sunday, January 1, 2012

December Daily in Review

Happy New Year 2012!  Did you have a good New Year's Eve?  Colin and I did, very low key, had dinner with my parents, watched TV, played games, surfed the Internet and wore silly hats.  Of course the poor animals had to wear the hats too.  They were thrilled.


Little Miss Calleigh


Big Tiger


Colin and Tiger


Me, Colin and Romeo

Now, it's 2012 and I'm on to a new project.  But before I can move on to that, I wanted to share some photos from my December Daily album.  I did a post about it back here.  December was so busy for us, I'm very grateful I stuck it out and finished the album.  I got behind a few days but made sure to devote some free time whenever I had it to getting things caught back up.  I already know a few things I want to change for next year, but for now the album is complete....and very fat.


I mad the covers myself.  I found some cute paper in Chicago when we went on our shopping trip and I covered it. 



Added a little jingle bell and some red ribbon.


Since the front was so busy I added a little card to document the year.


I didn't take a picture of everyday, just chose some of my favorites to share with you.  Day #1 with Skippy our new Elf on the Shelf.  I added part of a baseball card insert cut down.  I LOVE using them in my DD.  I shrink down photos or add extra little goodies.  This one I tried to sew one pocket closed while adding some glitter but I couldn't figure the sewing machine out. We probably all remember how bad I am at sewing.  So in the end I hand stitched the pocket closed.  Determination.


The color of my photos is pretty crummy so hopefully you can still see things.  Since this is December 1st I documented our Advent Calendar and the "First Gift of the Season".


December 2nd Colin's first dance at school.


December 4th, I didn't have any pictures that day (some days are too busy to take pictures) so I just documented our love of watching Christmas movies from ABC's 25 Days of Christmas.


December 6th, added some childhood pictures of me and my Sister.  It isn't always about today, past memories are special too.


That's me crying with Santa. :) 


December 9th, more Skippy.  He made an appearance often in the DD this year.


December 10th, our trip to Chicago with another baseball card insert.


December 17th, gift wrapping....remember this is real life.  Not just the fluff of the holidays.


December 20th, my tiny stack of Christmas Cards before they got mailed and I added a card to the album.  The red envelope has little goodies tucked inside I kept from different days.  Maybe a receipt, a letter from the mail, pictures I didn't add to the album, whatever I found. 


Opposite side of the envelope is our actual Christmas card.  The other picture is a picture I took of my food at Wendy's when Mom and I went shopping.  :)  Food is always good.


Another baseball card insert.  Colin and I made a craft on December 22nd so I documented the event.


And finally Christmas Day.  I of course had many pictures so I picked my favorites and added a collage.  By now, I'm getting tired and frankly wanted to just be done.  I didn't spend much time on the pages but since it wasn't a beauty contest, the results were fine with me.


I really do love creating the album.  As I mentioned it is hard some days, extra busy and just extra tired.  If I didn't feel like working on it, I didn't.  Usually by the next day I was excited to get things printed and documented so I would get back on it.  Hopefully Colin will enjoy it for years to come.

Now that it's 2012 I am ready for my next project.  This one is much bigger than December Daily.  It is called Project Life and the founder's blog can be found here if you want to learn more about it.  Basically it's a very, very easy way to scrapbook everyday life.  I have 2 Project Life albums but they are not 100% complete.  My plan is to go forward with 2012 and hopefully here and there, go back and finish up the other 2 years.  Again, it's a personal commitment you make.  It doesn't work for everyone, it's just something I really love to do so I find the time.  Let's hope each week I stay up with it.


I got all of my Christmas items put away and have been organizing my Project Life items.  Of course you can use any and all scrapbook things (which I have a craft room full of), but I know I must personally keep it simple to stay up on this.  The way the album pages are set up allow you to use little baseball card size cards that slide into the pockets.  You can quickly print your photos (4x6), slide them into the inserts, journal on the smaller cards and be done.  I was able to do 6 months of 2009 in 2 weekends.  It went that fast.


Here is part of my workstation....lots of fun goodies.  Smash Album cards, lots of Japanese tape that I love, doilies, pens, date stamps, paper clips, ink pads, etc.


I love that little bowl.  Colin gave it to me for Christmas, it's from Anthropology.  Maybe some day I might use it for food (or not)!


Another bin with all of my Project Life journaling cards and other little goodies.

I'm ready.  It's 2012!  Let's remember, share, document and celebrate life!

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year Ali! You,Colin and your pets look like they had a lovely time ringing in the new year!! Also, you did a great job on your album!! Have a very blessed 2012!!!

    ReplyDelete