Thursday, March 8, 2012

Our Sweet New Friends

Colin and I have some very, very sweet new friends.  Our friends are from a far away land but God picked the 4 of us to come together.  Our two friends are from Taiwan (Taipei to be exact) but visiting the US while attending college to get their Masters.  I have been a host family through International Student Ministries for many years now.  One day the nice couple that runs ISM visited our church and I was hooked instantly.

This year we were chosen to be Georgia's friend.  She is the one on the Right in the black sweater.  Her roommate is Kirsty.  These were the American names given to them in grade school when they started learning English in their hometown.  Sort of like my Spanish name is Ana from all of my years in Spanish class.  Georgia and Kirsty were girlfriends from home and both decided to come to the US to study.  And I'm so happy they picked the University close to us.


We've gotten together a few times now but this was the first time they came to our home.  They were both really wanting to see "American Life".  It is not common to own your own home in Taipei because they are very expensive because the area is so congested.  They LOVED our home, the trees and grass (even though it's dead right now) and especially our furry family members. 


They wanted me to make them an American meal so I picked cheeseburgers on the grill and roasted potatoes and roasted sweet potatoes.  To make it feel a little like home I also made an Asian Slaw Salad from my Pinterest page.  They really loved it.  :)  For dessert we had strawberry shortcake that they also really enjoyed.  Colin was just as excited about them coming over as I was.  He has really enjoyed meeting new international students and learning about their culture.  And every one of our students have just loved him.  I'm sure having a younger kid around helps put them at ease.


They were both looking forward to meeting our 3 pets.  Calleigh and Romeo were the most friendly.  Tiger was his normal scared self and hid most of the time.  Calleigh crawled all over the both of them but the girls loved it.  Kirsty has a kitty, Yo-Yo, back home so she started missing her sweet kitty.  They both asked if they could take pictures of our home and pets and I said of course!  Heck I was taking just as many pictures as they did.



Calleigh loved all of the attention and constant petting.  Colin said the girls probably took as many pictures of Calleigh as I have.  :)  That's ok, I'm happy to know they enjoyed their time so much and wanted to remember it with photos.

This morning I checked my e-mail and I had one from Kirsty.  She wanted to send me two pictures she drew of Calleigh and Romeo once she got home.  I love them to death!  They are perfect and such a reflection of the two.  I have already printed them and I placed them in my Project Life album on the pages to document our visit.



I know our God is not only an Awesome God but He is so incredibly loving.  He brought these two girls into our lives to make new friendships but I'm sure to help them feel at home while they are living abroad. It must be very scary to leave your parents and go to another country.  They are thriving and such sweet ladies.  They have been such a blessing in our lives already.  I can't wait to see what God has planned for us next with the both of them.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, that is so cool! I bet your friends had a really nice time and felt so welcomed by you!

    ReplyDelete